High School All State OLD Newspaper Photos

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
cp222
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

High School All State OLD Newspaper Photos

Post by cp222 »

Heres some Old Newspaper photos. I figure some of you will enjoy looking at them. A friend of mine collects them..

Bigger SIZE photo Click Here
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b349/ ... lState.jpg
Last edited by cp222 on Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

tvguy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by tvguy »

A website for stuff like this would be awesome. Great names on these teams. Leroy Lutu was one of my favorite players ever. Falaniko Noga looks like he's in college already. But Charles Coffin of Leilehua gets my vote for best picture, especially with the Rap Reiplinger-afro.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

Hmm. That's from my senior year in high school. Brian Ramseyer is my classmate. Look at the second teamers and you'll find another classmate, Ransen Borges. Louis Wong was a junior at OT and later started for BYU - but is not on the first or second team. Alvis Satele was also a junior that year.

Max Maneafaiga was a hitter at S. Kind of a Waianae tradition. More recently, there was Chris Paogofie.

Missing due to injury were Kahuku DT Kenneth Smith and RB Louis Santiago. Kahuku did not have the depth that it has today, so their fortunes went down when those two went down.

Look at the weights. Most linemen in the OIA Red nowadays are much heavier.

makani
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Louis Wong

Post by makani »

Louis Wong also just lead Timpview HS (Provo, UT) to back to back Utah State Championships.

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695228456,00.html

http://www.timpviewfootball.org/louis_wong___head_coach

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Duster wrote:Hmm. That's from my senior year in high school. Brian Ramseyer is my classmate. Look at the second teamers and you'll find another classmate, Ransen Borges. Louis Wong was a junior at OT and later started for BYU - but is not on the first or second team. Alvis Satele was also a junior that year.

Max Maneafaiga was a hitter at S. Kind of a Waianae tradition. More recently, there was Chris Paogofie.

Missing due to injury were Kahuku DT Kenneth Smith and RB Louis Santiago. Kahuku did not have the depth that it has today, so their fortunes went down when those two went down.

I was in King School at this time...
But I remember watching Bryan and Ransen.
Wasn't Alvis's brother, John, a senior this year?
I know Sefo was the oldest (and had the biggest fro) :D

Is Max Maneafaiga is the father of former Warrior Bryan Maneafaiga?

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

BigWave96744 wrote:
Duster wrote:Hmm. That's from my senior year in high school. Brian Ramseyer is my classmate. Look at the second teamers and you'll find another classmate, Ransen Borges. Louis Wong was a junior at OT and later started for BYU - but is not on the first or second team. Alvis Satele was also a junior that year.

I was in King School at this time...
But I remember watching Bryan and Ransen.
Wasn't Alvis's brother, John, a senior this year?
I know Sefo was the oldest (and had the biggest fro) :D

Is Max Maneafaiga is the father of former Warrior Bryan Maneafaiga?
Yes. John Satele was also a senior and my classmate that year. I did not mention John because he is not as well known as Alvis. If you asked me back then, I would have said that John was a better athlete than Alvis. John played DE. Other notable seniors were RBs Mark Hadama and Curtis Bell, OT Maka Tanele, LB Scott Haili, FS Glenn Shizumura. QB Jeff Hookano and RB Alan Nakayama were injured that season. I think Maka had the best fro - looked like an atomic bomb blast! The team was loaded, but played a killer out-of-district schedule (incl. Waianae, Waipahu, Kaiser). Held Boyd Yap under 100 yards, lost to Kaiser 21-14 despite questionable encroachment penalties (QB pulling his hands up as if he received a snap while dropping back into shotgun formation, Haili ejected from game for inquiring about which player a penalty was on - OIA refs - what can I say?). I think you spelled Ramseyer's first name correctly.

As for Bryan Maneafaiga, I don't know. I assumed that his father's last name was Hinton since that was his last name before he changed it.

Nalo Kalanikoa
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Nalo Kalanikoa »

CP would you have the all state team from the 83 and 84 season?

cp222
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by cp222 »

I cant find a All State team for those years. I Do have a OIA west and East. Which one do you want to see? East or West?

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Maka Tanele was lean and mean...
His brother Taka was just plain mean but I don't know if he played football. I used to see behind Windward Bowl.... Not a place to wonder around back then :o

Alan Nakayama's son, Jordan, was Castle's Backup QB behind Bryce Kalauokaaea.

Oh and I remembered Bryan Maneafaiga's dad was Joey Maneafaiga of Waianae.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

The Coach of the Year resembles Stephen Tsai, or vice versa.

SM96753
All-conference
All-conference

Post by SM96753 »

Great newspaper! I love the vintage stuff!

cp222
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by cp222 »

Heres another one, This is for my Coach Sam Delos Reyes before his days at Waipahu. Back when Nanakuli was a power house in the OIA.

Click here for a Larger Photo

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b349/ ... IAWest.jpg

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

Ooh. A 5'4" 150 lb OL (David Arakaki) from Leilehua made first team OIA West. Leilehua had smallish but tough-as-nails O-linemen when Hugh Yoshida was there. I believe that Leilehua won the Prep Bowl the following year.

Gobows66
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Gobows66 »

Man, these are sweet! Can we get more? I love looking at this old stuff. I remember in high school, I used to get the old microfisch (?) little negatives and look this up on the machines. Keep it coming!

Gatorade
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by Gatorade »

Duster wrote:Ooh. A 5'4" 150 lb OL (David Arakaki) from Leilehua made first team OIA West. Leilehua had smallish but tough-as-nails O-linemen when Hugh Yoshida was there. I believe that Leilehua won the Prep Bowl the following year.

A lot of small but tough players, ILH not listed but I thought Gary Kaneshiro mid 70's 5'5" Iolani LB was one of the best, just can't teach instinct. I'm trying to remember the name of the 5'5" twice all-star OG from Leilehua, watched him play in the all-star game, back then.