HS Soccer

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HS Soccer

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

OK, there's no specific thread for this sport, but I thought I'd post it on this thread because 1.) I was the last one to post on it, and 2.) There aren't very many posts on this thread anyway.

Tonight, Mililani's girls' soccer team beat Waialua, 21-0. No, that's not a typo. If we were to assume that a soccer goal is the equivalent of a football touchdown, that's like losing a football game 147-0. I'm appalled that Mililani would run-up the score like that. That's one reason I'm glad that Kahuku beat Mililani for the State Open football title. Waialua alumni must be really ticked.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Re: HS Boys Basketball

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:14 pm OK, there's no specific thread for this sport, but I thought I'd post it on this thread because 1.) I was the last one to post on it, and 2.) There aren't very many posts on this thread anyway.

Tonight, Mililani's girls' soccer team beat Waialua, 21-0. No, that's not a typo. If we were to assume that a soccer goal is the equivalent of a football touchdown, that's like losing a football game 147-0. I'm appalled that Mililani would run-up the score like that. That's one reason I'm glad that Kahuku beat Mililani for the State Open football title. Waialua alumni must be really ticked.
I also checked Scoring Live before I came to this site, and this score did stick out.

I don't follow soccer closely, but there's not really a way to "run out the clock" in that sport. In football, you can stop passing and run the ball up the middle. You can also run the play clock down before each snap. There's a noticeable difference in play calling.

In other sports like basketball and soccer, you can't really stop playing. There's no shot clock in either sport, but it's not really acceptable to stand there and not attempt a shot at the basket, or at the goal. Teams can put in their reserves, but the way the sport operates, the players have to keep shooting at the basket, or passing the ball down the field to get close enough to shoot at the goal.

What could Mililani have done? Pass the ball back to Waialua on purpose? Kick it out of bounds?

I think football is really the only team ball sport where there's a difference in play calling and where there's an actual method to running out the clock (either running the ball, or taking QB knees).

I'd say the biggest blowouts in any sport right now is in girls basketball, especially on the Big Island, where smaller schools get routinely smashed. It's not uncommon to see elite teams like Konawaena winning by scores like 80-11, 72-4, etc. I've also seen Oahu schools get smashed in tournaments involving mainland teams like in the Iolani Classic, 50 or more point blowouts are common in the first round.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:54 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:14 pm OK, there's no specific thread for this sport, but I thought I'd post it on this thread because 1.) I was the last one to post on it, and 2.) There aren't very many posts on this thread anyway.

I also checked Scoring Live before I came to this site, and this score did stick out.

I don't follow soccer closely, but there's not really a way to "run out the clock" in that sport. In football, you can stop passing and run the ball up the middle. You can also run the play clock down before each snap. There's a noticeable difference in play calling.

In other sports like basketball and soccer, you can't really stop playing. There's no shot clock in either sport, but it's not really acceptable to stand there and not attempt a shot at the basket, or at the goal. Teams can put in their reserves, but the way the sport operates, the players have to keep shooting at the basket, or passing the ball down the field to get close enough to shoot at the goal.

What could Mililani have done? Pass the ball back to Waialua on purpose? Kick it out of bounds?

I think football is really the only team ball sport where there's a difference in play calling and where there's an actual method to running out the clock (either running the ball, or taking QB knees).

I'd say the biggest blowouts in any sport right now is in girls basketball, especially on the Big Island, where smaller schools get routinely smashed. It's not uncommon to see elite teams like Konawaena winning by scores like 80-11, 72-4, etc. I've also seen Oahu schools get smashed in tournaments involving mainland teams like in the Iolani Classic, 50 or more point blowouts are common in the first round.
@ChadFukuoka:

Well, I would hope that the Mililani coach put-in his/her reserves as soon as the score got to 10-0. Then, with each additional goal, put-in weaker players, until your weakest players are on the field.

By the way, I went to scoringlive just now, and saw something a little disturbing: There's a photo of a Moanalua girl soccer player. Nothing disturbing about that, of course. What I did find a little disturbing, however, is that she was wearing black shorts, a black jersey, and black socks. What's disturbing about that, you might ask. This: Moanalua's colors are blue and silver. You'd think they'd be wearing blue shorts, blue jerseys, and blue socks. Or, even all white, as white is a neutral color. But, black?

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:40 pm

@ChadFukuoka:

Well, I would hope that the Mililani coach put-in his/her reserves as soon as the score got to 10-0. Then, with each additional goal, put-in weaker players, until your weakest players are on the field.

By the way, I went to scoringlive just now, and saw something a little disturbing: There's a photo of a Moanalua girl soccer player. Nothing disturbing about that, of course. What I did find a little disturbing, however, is that she was wearing black shorts, a black jersey, and black socks. What's disturbing about that, you might ask. This: Moanalua's colors are blue and silver. You'd think they'd be wearing blue shorts, blue jerseys, and blue socks. Or, even all white, as white is a neutral color. But, black?
Farrington beat McKinley 17-0 in girls soccer tonight. I think it's just talent gaps between some schools, or some schools don't have a strong youth program to feed players into the high school team.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:56 pm

@ChadFukuoka:

Farrington beat McKinley 17-0 in girls soccer tonight. I think it's just talent gaps between some schools, or some schools don't have a strong youth program to feed players into the high school team.
@ChadFukuoka:

Yeah, McKinley High's girls' soccer teams have been weak for years. But, its boys' soccer teams have been more competitive over those years. How can that be explained? I really don't know.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:48 am
ChadFukuoka wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:56 pm

@ChadFukuoka:

@ChadFukuoka:

Yeah, McKinley High's girls' soccer teams have been weak for years. But, its boys' soccer teams have been more competitive over those years. How can that be explained? I really don't know.
You've mentioned McKinley gets poached by the ILH schools for football. Is the same thing happening in other sports they are not doing well in?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: HS Soccer

@ChadFukuoka:

I would doubt it. St Louis School has--for some four decades--been recruiting football players from McKinley High because players from MWH are in McKinley High's district. MWH has long been a source of outstanding football players. Aside from that, I doubt that schools are recruiting soccer players from McKinley High. McKinley High and MWH are not sources of outstanding soccer players. In addition, I don't think that soccer is a big enough sport for HCs to actively recruit players from other schools. I don't think soccer is a big-enough deal here; at least, not like football.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Hello all.

It's been some 11 days since the last post in the High School Sports section, so I thought I'd get the section rolling again. (The "HS" in my User Name stands for, "High School".)

Anyway, this post is about volleyball. There's no separate thread for volleyball, and I didn't want to start one. I'm not a rabid volleyball fan, and besides, the season already started some time ago.

If anyone out there knows the answer, my question is: How is it that HBA's boys' volleyball team beat Punahou, 4-0? In a volleyball match, the school that wins three sets, wins. So, why did this match get to four sets? When HBA went-up, 3-0, the match should have ended right there. Just wondering if anyone knew what was up with that.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:57 pm Hello all.

It's been some 11 days since the last post in the High School Sports section, so I thought I'd get the section rolling again. (The "HS" in my User Name stands for, "High School".)

Anyway, this post is about volleyball. There's no separate thread for volleyball, and I didn't want to start one. I'm not a rabid volleyball fan, and besides, the season already started some time ago.

If anyone out there knows the answer, my question is: How is it that HBA's boys' volleyball team beat Punahou, 4-0? In a volleyball match, the school that wins three sets, wins. So, why did this match get to four sets? When HBA went-up, 3-0, the match should have ended right there. Just wondering if anyone knew what was up with that.
It seems like a typo. On scoring live, the result is Punahou winning 3 sets to 1. HBA won the third set, while Punahou won the other 3.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:06 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:57 pm Hello all.

It seems like a typo. On scoring live, the result is Punahou winning 3 sets to 1. HBA won the third set, while Punahou won the other 3.
@ChadFukuoka:

I had gotten the score from scoringlive, too. I looked again just now, and yes, they made the correction. Last night, not only did they get the set-count wrong; they had the wrong school winning the match.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

This post has nothing to do with soccer, but with baseball and softball; there aren't any threads about either sport. Punahou alumni are likely harboring bitter and hostile feelings toward Maryknoll School. This past Thursday, Punahou lost to Maryknoll in baseball, 4-2. This despite the fact that Punahou outhit Maryknoll, 9-2. Punahou had more than four times as many hits as Maryknoll. Also, it's not like Maryknoll hit any HRs; they didn't. As former UH coach Les once said, baseball is a crazy game. Then, just today, Punahou lost to Maryknoll in softball, 2-1. That must have been aggravating not only because the loss was by the slimmest of margins; what was probably equally aggravating was that the game went 11 innings. That's four extra innings. Punahou alumni had stuck it out for that long, only to see the Puns lose. There are three more things about the game that must be aggravating to Punahou alumni: 1.) Maryknoll scored the tying run in the last inning of regulation. 2.) Punahou had no more errors than Maryknoll did, so it's not like Punahou's D threw the game away. 3.) Maryknoll wasn't even throwing its ace. Punahou alumni can't be blamed for feeling resentful towards Maryknoll School. The softball game, especially, must have been a killer. Sh*t happens.