2014, 2015, and 2016 UH Men's Basketball Recruiting

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: 2008 & 2009 UH Men's Basketball Commits and Prospects

Post by seasider »

uhwarriors wrote:
senorhayabusa wrote:ANyone know if the players of the "FAV-5" era were highly touted or where they were from?

that might be a reason why Coach Nash is willing to go after the big time prospects or kids past the Mississippi river.
Bob Nash was the real big time recruit. He was a prep All-American from Connecticut. He went to San Jacinto CC in Texas where he was a second team JC All-America.

Al Davis and Jerome Freeman were from Crane Tech in Chicago. They went to different JCs (can't recall which ones). They are all-stars in their leagues. Dwight Holiday came from JC in California.

Nash, Davis and Holiday were all "spotted" in the national JC tournament and UH won the recruiting battle for all of them. If I recall the story correct, Davis told Red Rocha that he had a point guard friend (Freeman) at another JC and told Rocha to recruit him too. Also if I recall the story correctly, none of them came to Hawaii on recruiting trips because there was no budget for bringing in players on visits. They all committed sight unseen.

John Pennybacker was a big star in the military league and Rocha recruited him when his tour of duty was completed. He was actually here for two years before Nash, Davis, Holiday and Freeman came.

In the first year of the Fabulous Five, the fifth starter actually was Tom Newell who is the son of legendary coach Pete Newell. Holiday was more talented but a less consistent sixth man that year. After Newell graduated and Holiday became more consistent, he became the fifth starter.
Dwight Holiday was a starter from day one. Nash was drafted in the 1st round by Detroit...Hey, a long time ago, but I believe Holiday and Davis had free agent tryouts, either with the NBA or ABA. Holiday, an athletic 6-4 guard, IMHO would've have made it on the next level...he had all the tools, size, good shooter, great jumper, great defender...his achilles heel, poor ball-handling skills.

senorhayabusa
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by senorhayabusa »

I hope Coach Nash gets some commits this weeked atleast 1 out of the 2 visitors.

2k_Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: ATL Braves
NFL: SF 49ers

Post by 2k_Hawaii »

we need a "Flemming" type player badly

Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Sportsbow »

Here's what jucoguru posted on the Rivals.com message board. He's responding to dabowman's question about Roderick Flemings. He said "It will be Hawaii or NAIA/DII."

LINK: http://jucojunction.rivals.com/showmsg. ... 90&style=2
dabowman33

Post #9
MyFanPage
Add Buddy

Does Hawaii have a legitimate shot to land Roderick Flemings?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He is visiting this weekend but does Hawaii stand a chance? At least he knows hel start immediatly versus going to Kentucky or Uconn

Posted on 4/19 12:51 AM | IP: Logged
jucoguru

Post #1133
MyFanPage
Add Buddy

Re: Does Hawaii have a legitimate shot to land Roderick Flemings?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It will be Hawaii or NAIA/DII.

Posted on 4/20 9:10 AM | IP: Logged
Last edited by Sportsbow on Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Nobody in the WAC has an athlete like Flemings, this would be huge!

hst24seven
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by hst24seven »

Hope the Aloha shined thru & made this a easy decision for Roderick. Sounds like the scorer we need to fill out the team. Still like to see us pickup one more athletic PG.
Sportsbow wrote:Here's what jucoguru posted on the Rivals.com message board. He's responding to dabowman's question about Roderick Flemings. He said "It will be Hawaii or NAIA/DII."

LINK: http://jucojunction.rivals.com/showmsg. ... 90&style=2
dabowman33

Post #9
MyFanPage
Add Buddy

Does Hawaii have a legitimate shot to land Roderick Flemings?

He is visiting this weekend but does Hawaii stand a chance? At least he knows hel start immediatly versus going to Kentucky or Uconn

Posted on 4/19 12:51 AM | IP: Logged
jucoguru

Post #1133
MyFanPage
Add Buddy

Re: Does Hawaii have a legitimate shot to land Roderick Flemings?

It will be Hawaii or NAIA/DII.

Posted on 4/20 9:10 AM | IP: Logged
MACKs Warriors
GIB's A Time

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

hst24seven wrote:Hope the Aloha shined thru & made this a easy decision for Roderick. Sounds like the scorer we need to fill out the team. Still like to see us pickup one more athletic PG.
And a real center, haven't had one one since Haim Shiminovich.

senorhayabusa
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by senorhayabusa »

J-Rod wrote:
hst24seven wrote:Hope the Aloha shined thru & made this a easy decision for Roderick. Sounds like the scorer we need to fill out the team. Still like to see us pickup one more athletic PG.

I liked Ahmet over Haim.

2k_Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: ATL Braves
NFL: SF 49ers

Post by 2k_Hawaii »

senorhayabusa wrote:
J-Rod wrote:

I liked Ahmet over Haim.
i still shake my head that RW wasted his senior season

senorhayabusa
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by senorhayabusa »

Yeh that was a horrible decision by Riley. Ahmet played his whole senior year on one leg and was only half the player he was in his junior season. Ahmet even had a redshirt year available, i honestly think he could have had a shot to be drafted in the late second round of the NBA draft if he had a great senior year.

jaguars
All-conference
All-conference

Post by jaguars »

anyone got any updates on how Flemmings' visit went?

dabowman
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by dabowman »

Yeah!!! gotta like are chances against NAIA schools... im glad teams are scared to recruit him.... He could be the basketball teams Colt Brennan.... If he signs, im crowning him All WAC before he steps on the island. if we land a point guard and Flemings, UH will be packing stan sherrif this coming season..

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Pats

Post by uhwarrior23 »

dabowman wrote:Yeah!!! gotta like are chances against NAIA schools... im glad teams are scared to recruit him.... He could be the basketball teams Colt Brennan.... If he signs, im crowning him All WAC before he steps on the island. if we land a point guard and Flemings, UH will be packing stan sherrif this coming season..
I completely agree. Landing Flemings will be a great step into turning back the b-ball program into a WAC powerhouse. I have a wonderful feeling about job Nash is doing from a recruiting standpoint. Someone wrote an article a couple months ago about how Nash has already proved he can coach but his legacy will be determined on how he can recruit. So far, Coach Nash is shooting for the stars and what do you know...we're in the hunt for a couple of awesome prospects that would have an immediate impact.

senorhayabusa
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by senorhayabusa »

Anything on that small forward who visited us, Brandom Adams?

Who else is he considering?

I am ok about Coach Nash taking a flier on this kid since we had 7 scholarships to give out. But if we lose out on him to grades or he goes to the NAIA, i hope coach Nash has a backup plan.

So far I give this recruiting class a C.

SRJC
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by SRJC »

3 local recruits commit to HPU

By Wes Nakama
Advertiser Staff Writer

Hawai'i Pacific University men's basketball coach Tony Sellitto has not wasted any time in living up to his promise to bring more Hawai'i high school players into the Sea Warriors' program.
Advertisement

Three Hawai'i high school seniors — Advertiser State Player of the Year Kameron Steinhoff of Punahou, All-State first team guard Cheynne Lishman of Kalaheo and Kamehameha sharpshooter Kawika Lyons — have made verbal commitments to play for HPU next season.

Steinhoff and Lishman plan to sign their national letters of intent tomorrow; Lyons will attend Hawai'i Pacific on academic scholarships.

Sellitto, who returned to the HPU head coaching position last month after a six-year retirement, immediately announced plans to recruit more Hawai'i high school players.

"He said every year he plans to sign at least a couple local players and build the system around them, and I like that idea," said Steinhoff, a 6-foot-4 1/2 inch forward who expects to play shooting guard or wing at the college level. "I think it's a good idea, because we already know each other and it will help with team bonding."

Steinhoff overcame spleen removal surgery last September to average 15.4 points per game in the regular and postseason and lead the Buffanblu to their first state championship since 1999.

He said his initial plans were to play "somewhere in California," but Sellitto established contact with him almost immediately after being hired on March 3.

Steinhoff said he was told he might have a chance to play and contribute as a true freshman.

"(Sellitto) said it's going to take a lot of hard work and getting used to the college level," Steinhoff said.

Punahou coach Dan Hale said that although Steinhoff played a lot near the post in high school, he has perimeter skills and proved his ability against top Mainland competition.

"He faced up well against those (Mainland) guys in the preseason tournaments," Hale said. "He'll do great at that (NCAA Division II) level."

Lishman, a 6-2 shooting guard, established himself as one of the state's top outside shooters and helped Kalaheo win the O'ahu Interscholastic Association Eastern Division title with a 12-0 record this past season. He considered an offer from Notre Dame de Namur and walk-on opportunities at Hawai'i and New Mexico State.

But like Steinhoff, his plans changed once Sellitto offered a scholarship.

"I like (Sellitto's) system, I like the work ethic that he brings," said Lishman, who gave his verbal commitment on Sunday. "It's good that there'll be other Hawai'i guys there."

Lyons, a 6-foot shooting guard, transferred to Kamehameha as a sophomore after growing up in Long Beach, Calif. He was one of the state's top 3-point threats this past season, sinking six of them in the first half of a game against Punahou.

"I'm excited, I'm looking forward to being in that (HPU) program," he said.

Per NCAA rules, Sellitto is not allowed to officially comment on recruits until receiving their letters of intent.

Reach Wes Nakama at wnakama@honoluluadvertiser.com.
In your voice
Read reactions to this story
User Image
fan4sports wrote:
Good post 5cent! Where the hell have you all been during the season! This article is about 3 prospects not 1. Because you win a State Title and of course are automatically POY, you should be the only player of interest? All three, especially Lishman deserves UH considering how much he had to contribute to his team. Hell, he was the team! Good choice for he and Lyons though, keep your eyes open at all times!!! Good Luck to all Three! UH, how about some local recruits?
4/16/2008 4:41:14 PM
Recommend Report Abuse
User Image
rock11 wrote:
Don't really think Nash is the right guy for the job at UH. Cant wait to see if HPU ever plays UH again
4/16/2008 1:32:26 AM
Recommend Report Abuse
User Image
5cents wrote:
This article is about Selitto and HPU's recruit, not UH. FOCUS.
4/15/2008 11:45:01 PM
Recommend Report Abuse
User Image
stickyrice wrote:
Other than football, UH lets so many talented athletes leave. They expect local kids to walk on when they have offers elsewhere. In the last 3-4 years, look at the talent of mens volleyball that has left
4/15/2008 5:04:33 PM
Recommend Report Abuse
User Image
eastsidecoast wrote:
If Nash can get his son a scholarship to play then there is no reason Steinhoff shouldn't.
4/15/2008 1:31:05 PM
Recommend Report Abuse
User Image
HapaHawaiian wrote:
Good job HPU!

I agree with oahuan, where was Nash? Was Steinhoff not a D1 prospect? I guess we will see.
4/15/2008 10:58:45 AM
Recommend Report Abuse
User Image
oahuan wrote:
In the meantime................................where's Nash? Out of those 3, I would think Nash would've offered Steinhoff a scholly.
4/15/2008 8:37:37 AM